Sunset

Sunset
Manila Bay sunset, 3 Dec 2010

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I Painted That Photograph

I have long accepted the fact that I am not good in creative drawing. I really envy those who can paint, draw anime, sketch landscapes, portray portraits and play with colors, be it on paper or on screen. But I have always loved visual arts so thankfully, the camera was invented.

I love taking pictures. Photography is one of my passion. I bought my Canon EOS 1100D for this reason. This is  just an entry-level DSLR. Of course, I would want a higher version but I think it would be impractical since I do not have plans to become a professional photographer or make money out of my pictures. Besides, enhancements are available in the market so that I can upgrade my unit.

Personally, I dislike Photoshop. Aside from that I am a self-confessed sloth, I find the idea of 'altering' an image scandalous. I present my photos the way you would see it through naked eyes. Yes, I am tweaking and adjusting some settings on my DSLR but I stop from there. If I capture flaws like your screaming pimple, then so be it.

Some say Photoshop enhances a picture. I say what is the point of enhancing a picture when most people would say 'That's just edited!'. I am also not a fan of collages or any other visual effects. I am contented with the sepia, black & white and the likes already installed on the camera.

But now, I have realized the value of Photoshop. I need it to stamp my signature on my dear pictures. My favorite subject is landscape and I treasure my pictures just like a painter loves his paintings.

Maybe I am just being selfish, but I really feel bad when other people post the photograph that I took under their own album without any acknowledgement that I was the one who took the shot. Well, I do not mind if that person is one of my subjects, but for a plain landscape picture, I just could not take it.

Point taken that anyone who could have been with me during the time I shoot for the image would have seen the same place or have had the same lighting and other elements, but still, I was the one who took the shot. I exert effort taking shots- I would do acrobatics if needed so. I was the one who adjusted the ISO and aperture. I was the one who have had the steady hand. I was the one who waited patiently for the perfect wind to blow against the grass. I was the one who was looking upward, searching for the most whimsical shape of clouds. I was the one waiting for the sun to be at just the right level with the horizon. I was the one exploring the place beyond where the crowd gathers. I was the one carrying a camera that weighs almost half a kilo.

I do not mind sharing my artwork, besides, I took those photos for everyone to appreciate nature. But please, acknowledge that it came from me. I am sure you have heard of intellectual property rights. If you would be asking me for a proof of patent, then I'll be charging you first.


Taken at the base camp of Mt. Natib, Orani, Bataan on June 11 17:32 during Freedom Climb 2011 by Krystin Bajado. 

1 comment:

  1. You should be angry about your stolen photo if in the entirety of your online existence, you haven't copied a single pixel of a picture without giving proper credits.

    Forgetting to thank and name the source of the photo (I am most guilty of this), and maliciously taking credit for other people's photo are two very very different things.

    I hope you are talking about the latter offence against you, else you are just wasting time and unnecessary stress over the matter.

    Cheerup!

    ReplyDelete